Follow the Gabby Guide to Bulb Planting for bulb planting en masse!
1. Remove any annual plant material. We have had such a weirdly warm season, that the annuals still look great! So harden your heart and chop away.
|Annuals in mid-October!!|
|Alison digging away|
3. Toss bulbs on top of bed. Plant tightly for a fabulous spring show!
4. For tulips, plant about 6" deep from top of bulb, plant pointy side up. I use this great little hand shovel/knife. Easy to dig since your soil is nice and loose.
5. Cover bed with a generous helping of chopped leaves.
6. Top leaves with compost, or very fine mulch (seen here), and don't forget to water in!